I looked at myself today in the mirror and smiled as I put on my hat on top of my messy knotted hair. Then proceed to take my boys to the park with a smile, because this kind of confident is coming from within. I remember being in elementary school and just wanting life to speed up. That’s how bad I was teased and picked on to the point where I didn’t want to be myself. Imagine being 6 years old and feeling this way. Yes,most kids go through the phase of either picking on someone or being the one teased. Growth is amazing and I’m so glad I’m more confident. I vow to be the light for some little girl whose light is dim because of the darkness. I express to others to not feel threatened by any woman and simply stand with them and cheer them on.
5 Tips to be More Confident
1. Know that even though your path may be different, or bumpy. You have the same hours in a day and some of us may have to work harder, but we all still have to work at whoever we want to be, no short cuts.
2. Give more compliments than you receive. I realized for me the more I gave genuine compliments, the more confident I am. which I didn’t need validation of confidence from others.
3. Look in the mirror and say affirmations to yourself. You won’t depend on others to make you confident because that’s something you can give yourself. Such as, “Ebony I love the way you styled your hair today.”
4. Prayer time, but pray for others as well. Say you have a friend who is up for a promotion and you are looking to be promoted in your job as well. Don’t secretly wish you get yours first or hope you don’t get left behind. Pray for your friend. God sees those who remain humble. This also shows you are secure within yourself to know your time is coming when it comes.
5. Take care of yourself. Mentally say and do positive things. Physically, release tension through a physical activity; spiritually connect with God and read your Bible if you are at that point. Also read self-help books…connect with yourself. One of my favorite books, “Write it Down, Make it Happen.” Until Next time my Friends….